Access to Information
The Minnesota Government Data Practices Act, Minnesota Statutes, Chapter 13:
- Presumes government data are public;
- Provides the classification scheme for all government information;
- Classifies some data as not public;
- Provides rights for the public and data subjects; and
- Requires that data on individuals are accurate, complete, current, and secure.
An individual's right to access data depends on the classification of the data.
Learn more about:
- How to make a data request
- Government staff with data practices responsibilities
- Required access policies
Violations of the Data Practices Act can result in civil and criminal penalties. View a narrated PowerPoint presentation on penalties and remedies.
The Legislature and Judiciary are not subject to the Data Practices Act - those branches have their own records access rules.