What we do:
- Provide technical assistance and consultation — answering questions and educating individuals, government entities, businesses, and associations — about Minnesota's data practices act (Minnesota Statutes, Chapter 13), the Open Meeting Law (Minnesota Statutes, Chapter 13D), and other information policy laws;
- Assist the Commissioner of Administration in performing duties under Chapters 13 and 13D, including researching and drafting Commissioner’s opinions, evaluating applications for temporary classification and requests for approvals of new uses of data, and processing appeals of challenges to the accuracy and/or completeness of data;
- Work with individuals, organizations, government entities, and the Legislature in drafting, proposing, and tracking legislation;
- Prepare explanatory and helpful publications to assist government entities in performing their duties and to assist individuals in actualizing their rights;
- Prepare model forms, policies, and procedures to assist in compliance;
- Consult on complex legal, technical, and policy issues; and
- Provide data practices and Open Meeting Law training on request, for groups that include a statewide audience with a high need to learn about data practices and open meetings, subject to availability and IPAD budget considerations (please contact Stacie Christensen for training requests).